Thursday, January 11, 2024

I Have a Dream: In Honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.


When I was eight years old and living in Balch Springs, Texas, I watched a significant television series based on the book "Roots" by Alex Haley. The series was aired in January 1977 and had a lasting impact on me. Haley traced his heritage back to Africa, showing how his ancestors were brought to America for slavery. One of the main characters in the series was Kunta Kinte, who fought against slave owners who wanted to change his name to Toby. One scene showed Kunta Kinte's right foot being amputated to prevent him from attempting to escape. I will never forget the powerful story of this series.

The show made a deep impression on me because of the mistreatment that black people endured. It also made me realize, as a young boy, that some people in our society have been and sometimes still are mistreated solely based on the color of their skin. Even after slavery was abolished, being a black person in the South carried an unfair and ungodly social stigma. I hope and pray that one day, any social stigma in people's hearts because of one's skin color will be eliminated from every heart.

No comments:

Divine Visitation

Have you ever experienced a divine visitation that left you awestruck? I’m not referring to experiences like encountering Jesus, as the apos...