Friday, January 5, 2024

I'm Not Racist...

 

"Do we need to have another conversation about race relations?" Eight years ago, I would have answered with a firm "no." The culture I lived in was not racist, and I grew up in a household that wasn't racist either. Nor did I hang around with individuals who held racist beliefs. Therefore, I saw no need for a conversation about race relations. However, things have changed since then.

After spending 20 years as a Southern Baptist pastor in the South, I searched for a secular job. Eventually, I landed a role as a community corrections chaplain for the state of Arkansas. This transition put me in a culture that differed vastly from what I was used to, with a majority of my colleagues being people of color. 

As time went on, my colleagues became my friends. These friendships enabled me to empathize with their challenges as black Americans in the South. The empathy started to open my eyes to the subtle racism in my life.  

My personal beliefs and intentions convinced me that I was not a racist. Still, I was unintentionally contributing to racism through my actions and beliefs, which perpetuated inequality and discrimination.

In the past, I used to feel angry when I saw a sign indicating that a business was black-owned. But now, I understand the challenges that black Americans have faced. It's crucial to recognize that in the past, it was illegal for black people to own businesses. However, black entrepreneurs should be celebrated for their accomplishments. Labeling a business as a black-owned business acknowledges the progress made toward equality.

Previously, I used to perceive a high school with only three black students as a decent institution. However, I have come to understand that such a scenario only serves to maintain the status quo of inequality. While some may argue that discussing this issue is unnecessary, such conversations are crucial.

I believe it is important to discuss race relations, but equally crucial to cultivate relationships across races based on empathy and understanding. 


No comments:

Divine Visitation

Have you ever experienced a divine visitation that left you awestruck? I’m not referring to experiences like encountering Jesus, as the apos...