Wednesday, January 10, 2018

There'll be No Bastards in Heaven

I'm an Uber driver. Never thought I would say that, but I am, and I love it. I love the different people I meet from all walks of life, and from all parts of the world, and I never leave central Arkansas. 

Recently, while working the airport, I met a man initially from Nigeria, but now living in Prosper, Texas. We hit it off instantly, seeing that I lived in Sherman, Texas for three years. We talked about all kinds of topics until he asked what brought me to Arkansas. I then proceeded to share with him that I was a pastor, and following the call of God brought me to Arkansas.

The conversation quickly turned to religion, and what the man believed.  He attends Prestonwood Baptist but is not a member. It was evident as he shared that the man had encountered the prosperity gospel in Nigeria and the United States, and was not a fan, and rightly so. Unfortunately, as he shared his beliefs, it became apparent that he didn't know the gospel at all.

He prefaced his theological  beliefs with these words, "You won't agree with my beliefs." And he was right. At the heart of this theology was the need for a person to be good, like Jesus, to go to heaven. I didn't have time to tell him that Jesus was perfect, maybe another day, if the Lord wills. 

In his theology, a good person, no matter what religion, or no religion at all, can go to heaven. They just have to live like Jesus. He said, "It all comes back to Jesus." There obviously problems with his theology, but one glaring problem is found in the teachings of Jesus, you know, the one that people are supposed to be like to get to heaven.

If Jesus is the example to follow, then shouldn't we follow his teachings? Jesus said, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me" (John 14:6). Furthermore, Jesus said, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit" (John 3:5-6). If we are to follow the example of Jesus, we must also follow the teachings of Jesus. If Jesus is wrong about heaven, then he is a liar and not a worthy example to follow. If he is right about heaven, and he is, then he's more than worthy to follow, he is worthy of giving our lives to him.

One will never see the kingdom of heaven without being born again. The only way to be born again is to believe in the saving work of Christ. Jesus said, "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16). There will be no illegitimate children in heaven, but only the children of God who receive and believe in Jesus, born of the Spirit of God.

A bastard is an illegitimate child. Therefore, there will be no bastards in heaven. Give your life to Christ today. 


No comments:

Divine Visitation

Have you ever experienced a divine visitation that left you awestruck? I’m not referring to experiences like encountering Jesus, as the apos...