Monday, May 30, 2016

The Struggle of Faith

I'm not going to lie.  I find great comfort in the fact that godly men, like King David, struggled with his faith.  For example, this morning I started my daily reading in the Psalms and I find this, "How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?" (Ps. 13:1).  Ironically, I have spent the last year crying out those very same words.  So, I am comforted knowing that my struggle of faith is characteristic of the life of faith.  But why?

Why does God allow us to struggle with our faith? Well, I think he does simply because he is our sovereign Father, and knows that our struggle can and will lead us to a stronger and greater faith.  If we don't have questions, complaints, doubts, or disappointments in our faith journey, can we truly say that our faith is growing stronger? I doubt it.

It has been my experience that my struggle has always led me to a greater understanding of who God is, and greater trust in his character.  Let me explain.  I wept many times this year in despair, questioning God and his great love for me.  At times, I have felt that he has abandoned me, or at least was out to get me.  As I processed these feelings and struggles with what God has revealed of himself in the good news of the gospel, I have always come to this conclusion: "But I have trusted in your steadfast love, my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. I will sing to the Lord, because he has dealt bountifully with me." (Ps. 13:5-6).  Yes, in Christ, I can declare: "He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?"  I can trust in God's goodness and faithfulness, knowing that all I will ever need I have in Jesus.

So, struggle on! Be transparent before God! He's big enough to handle your struggles. And as you struggle on, cling to his unchanging goodness found in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Divine Visitation

Have you ever experienced a divine visitation that left you awestruck? I’m not referring to experiences like encountering Jesus, as the apos...