Saturday, January 22, 2011

Real Success

When you read the New Testament you will eventually notice that biblical success is much different than worldly success. Unfortunately, we often measure our success in the kingdom with faulty standards. Paul summed up the keys to success in one verse, "But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God" (Ac 20:24 ESV). Three truths we need to know, as God's servants, when it comes to being successful in the eyes of God.

We must die to self.
Clearly, success begins when we end. We must value God more than we value our own lives. Paul says, "I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself." Jesus said following him can only be done with self-denial. Therefore, it is safe to say that a successful follower of Christ values God more than life.

We must never give up.
Paul said, "If only I may finish my course and the ministry that I have received from the Lord Jesus." As Paul received a ministry from the Lord, so have all followers of Christ. We must be faithful to the ministry that God has given, and never give up. Again, this takes self-denial. It also tells us that the key to success in the kingdom of God is determined by faithfulness. We should be concerned faithlessness more than for our own lives. Daniel was concerned about prayerlessness more than life. The three Hebrew boys thrown into the fiery furnace were concerned about compromise more than life.

We must determine to share the gospel.
What is the ministry that we have all received from the Lord? "To testify of the gospel of the grace of God." We are witnesses for Jesus to a lost world. Charles Spurgeon once said, "If you have no wish to bring others to heaven, you are not going there yourself."

Die to self! Don't give up! Determine to share! That's real success.

No comments:

Divine Visitation

Have you ever experienced a divine visitation that left you awestruck? I’m not referring to experiences like encountering Jesus, as the apos...