Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Priority of Corporate Prayer

The church makes a lot of assumptions when it comes to prayer. We think that the success of a church is determined by a good preacher or good music program,or beautiful buildings, or great visions. I am by no means discounting these things as important. I just want to put things into proper perspective.

The success of the church will not be determined by how much human resources that is at the church’s disposal, or how much human resolve we have to fulfill our duty. The success and effectiveness of the church will be determined by how much of God’s power we have working through us. The pathway to God’s power is prayer.

We can strategize and visualize all day long, but until God gives us direction and power it means nothing. The barometer of our church must become the corporate prayer meeting.

It is interesting that in Old Testament and also in the Gospels, the corporate gathering of God’s people is called a “House of prayer.” I love to preach, but God didn’t say, “My house will be a house of preaching.” I love music, but God didn’t say, “My house will be a house of music.” He said, “My house will be a house of prayer.”

No comments:

Divine Visitation

Have you ever experienced a divine visitation that left you awestruck? I’m not referring to experiences like encountering Jesus, as the apos...