Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Anglicanism? Part 2


Over the past month, I have immersed myself in the study of Anglicanism, delving into its rich history and practices. It captivated me because of its unwavering focus on the importance of the Word, Spirit, and Sacraments. Recognizing the importance of the Word and the Spirit, I am convinced that regularly incorporating the sacraments into my spiritual practice is vital for fostering a well-rounded and inclusive approach. The subject has consumed hours, as podcasts and books have been consumed to gain a profound understanding.

The first book I read was "Simply Anglican" by Winfield Bevins. I found it relatable to my background, as I come from a similar Baptist and Pentecostal background. Though I still identify as Baptist, I've had a personal experience with the Holy Spirit that has led me to become more charismatic in my faith. I suppose you could call me a "Bapticostal."

The book I read next was "The Accidental Anglican" by Todd D. Hunter. Bishop Hunter shares his journey from the Vineyard denomination to Anglicanism. While I found his story fascinating, it provided little help with the theological questions I am grappling with regarding Anglicanism. I wanted to gain insight into how he came to accept the Anglican belief about baptism.

I just finished reading Thomas McKenzie's The Anglican Way: A Guidebook. It's a great resource for anyone new to the Anglican faith or who wants to learn more about it. The book answered many of my questions, including those about baptism.

However, as I continue to study, I need help accepting the Anglican belief about water baptism and its role in receiving the Holy Spirit, particularly in infant baptism. Despite this, I'm not giving up on my studies just yet.

I want to express my positive experience with the Anglican way so far. First, I appreciate their commitment to the Word, Spirit, and Sacraments. The charismatic nature of the Anglican community appeals to me. 

I am fond of the Book of Common Prayer, which I have used in my daily devotions. It has transformed my prayer life. I never thought I would enjoy reading prayers in the plural, but I do. It gives me a greater understanding of being a part of the family of God. Knowing that there are people worldwide praying many of the same prayers I'm praying that day is comforting. I am now reciting the Apostles' Creed daily and praying the Lord's Prayer daily.

The Anglican Church is united and refreshing despite some division. As a Southern Baptist minister, I'm tired of unnecessary conflict over secondary issues.

I have a few things on my mind at the moment. I still need to attend an Anglican worship service. I don't know my thoughts on liturgical worship since I have never experienced it. Also, I am not entirely committed to being Catholic. Another issue that I might have is the commitment to church tradition. If the tradition is biblical, it's good, but if it's not, it's expendable.

Overall, the Anglican way has improved my spiritual life. The structure of rhythm and routine within the liturgy and the Book of Common Prayer have played a big part in my growth. 

If you are Anglican, I would love some of your insight.  

No comments:

Divine Visitation

Have you ever experienced a divine visitation that left you awestruck? I’m not referring to experiences like encountering Jesus, as the apos...