Friday, February 2, 2018

Jesus, The Uber Rider

If you like people watching, and conversations with people you don't know, then Uber driving is for you.  People from all walks of life request rideshare services and end up in the back of your vehicle.  

Recently, I gave a model from Brazil a ride from the airport to the Dillard's studios for a two-week photo shoot. It was her first time to Arkansas.  The conversation covered a variety of topics like the number of men with beards, gun ownership, wildlife, rednecks, and religion. 

Driving weekend nights is a world of its own.  Most riders are using the service because they intend to become incapacitated by excessive alcohol consumption (I am thankful that they have the right sense to use Uber), which provides fascinating conversations. 

Five young ladies, probably in their mid-twenties, provided an intriguing discussion, as I drove them to the Alan Jackson Concert.  Conversing with each other, one of the girls dropped a few "F" bombs.  She then turned to me and said, "I hope you are not one of those committed Christians offended by my language." I responded, "I have one better for you, I am a pastor, but I am not offended."   I went on to tell her, "I'm your Uber driver, not Jesus.  You just be yourself." I have learned not to expect people to conform to a particular moral standard without first experiencing the transforming power of the gospel. Otherwise, I would be offended all the time.   Nevertheless, my response opened the door for an invite to church.  

The most fantastic rider, to date, has been Jesus.  In his book, A Praying Life, Paul Miller writes about seeing Jesus throughout your day; maybe it is a kind word received, or how another person responds to a challenging situation.  I saw Jesus in an Uber rider. 
If you are going to make money driving for Uber in Little Rock, then you will have to work the airport.  It provides an excellent resource for rides.  When a driver arrives at the airport, he or she is put into a queue by the app.  A driver can wait ten minutes or forty-five; it all depends on queue placement and incoming flights.  

On the day Jesus rode, I was number nine in the queue.   Therefore, I thought to myself, "I have enough time to go to the airport and use the restroom."  So, I started my way to the terminal from my usual parking spot when I received a ride request.  It was a rider at the airport.  I said to myself, "How can this be; there must be a mistake."  But it was no mistake.  I went from the ninth person in line to first. 
Arriving at Gate D, I waited for Julie.  After about a minute wait, she exits the terminal with no baggage.  She, who was from Frisco, Texas, was in Little Rock for a quick meeting at Baptist Hospital.  She would fly back later that afternoon. 

We immediately had common ground with us both being from Texas.  We spoke about the growth of Frisco over the years and other Texas trivia.  Eventually, she asked what brought me to Arkansas.  I shared with her that I'm a pastor and some of the things I've experienced over the past eight years in the Natural State.

Approaching her drop off, Julie said, "I feel compelled to pray for you."  I gladly accepted and listened as she prayed.  Julie prayed things for me that I had not shared with her.  It was at that moment that I realized that this ride was a divine appointment, orchestrated by God.  God winked at me with that visit, merely to let me know how much he loves me.   

I'm learning to look for Jesus every day. For me, on this day, he showed up as an Uber rider named Julie.  Are you looking for Jesus? What Jesus encounters have you experienced?



No comments:

Divine Visitation

Have you ever experienced a divine visitation that left you awestruck? I’m not referring to experiences like encountering Jesus, as the apos...