Thursday, January 7, 2010

Day 5: Falling in Love with Jesus!

Jesus said to the church in Ephesus, "You have left your first love" (Rev. 2:4). Clearly, it is possible for God's people to drift from the love of God. I find it interesting that 30 years before Jesus spoke these words to the church, the apostle Paul ended his letter to the Ephesians with these words, "Grace be with all those who love our Lord Jesus Christ with incorruptible love." Paul spoke of a love that was undying.

It is possible for us to leave our first love. We can be doing all the right things, but without a heart of love for Jesus. What's the remedy? Jesus told the Ephesian church to "remember from where you have fallen and repent..." (Rev. 2:5)

As I enter my fifth day of a 21-day fast, I am remembering where I have fallen from, and turning back to Jesus. The Lord is teaching me to be satisfied in him alone. This is not easy. Oh sure, we can say we are satisfied in him alone, and still not be satisfied. Therefore, I need to ask myself some hard questions.

Is there anything more important to me than God? Well, I would have to admit that my comfort has become important, so important that I have really struggled with God about it.

Is there anything that absorbs my heart and imagination more than God? Yes! I often focus on what I want God to do for me rather than on God himself.

Is there something in my life, other than God, that gives my life meaning, value, safety, and security? This is a loaded question that needs contemplative reflection and repentance.

Lord, I want to return to my first love. Incline my heart to your testimonies, open my eyes to the wonderful things in your word, give me an undivided heart to fear your name, and satisfy me with your unfailing love.

No comments:

Divine Visitation

Have you ever experienced a divine visitation that left you awestruck? I’m not referring to experiences like encountering Jesus, as the apos...