Wednesday, September 25, 2013

A Journal To My Future Husband by Beth McKinney


I pray everyday for my three daughters. My greatest prayer is that they love Jesus and the gospel more than life, and that their future husband would do the same. I thank God for the godly young ladies who serve as role models for my daughters. 

One such lady is Beth Ann McKinney. I have only met Beth in passing when she visited First Southern, but through social media, I have been able to get to know her. Yesterday, she posted a picture on Facebook of a journal that she keeps for her future husband. She is a single girl allowing God to direct her life. I found this impressive, and something I wanted to share not only with my daughters, but with young men and women desiring to put God first in their lives, especially when it comes to relationships.  
 
 
I asked Beth to be a guest on my blog and explain how she came about keeping a journal to her future husband with the hopes that it might inspire others to do the same.  
 
 
Hi! I'm Beth McKinney. I'm 22, a first-year 2nd grade teacher. About a year and a half ago I was at a place in life where I was looking in all the wrong places to find the cliché "man of my dreams." So I decided to take a break from looking. And dove into searching God's word. I read the book Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge for about the third time. 
  
Third time was the charm. I read it in a completely new light this time around. Finding my self-worth, my confidence, my beauty, in my Father. 
  
I'm a writer. It's a gift. I believe God has given me. And I don't believe there's anything more special than handwritten letters. So, I decided to put my writing to use. Writing a journal for my future, handcrafted for me, husband. And whoever that may be, he will receive the finished journal the night before our wedding day. 
  
It started in January of 2012. And has continued on to this day. I write about my days. I write down prayers for him. I write about key life events. Or just even a simple "hey, I hope you had a great day today". It sounds a little silly when I explain it. But, I can't think of a better way to show my husband who I was when I was in waiting. Who I will be when I am being pursued by him. Who I will be when I am dating him. And who I will be when I am with him for the rest of our lives. 
  
I plan to continue it for as long as God continues His work in my growth and in my future husband's growth. 
  
It's exciting to think about writing to a man I haven't met yet. And I certainly cannot wait to be his beloved for he is already mine. 
  
"I am my beloved’s and my beloved is mine..." --Song of Solomon 6:3 NIV   







No comments:

Divine Visitation

Have you ever experienced a divine visitation that left you awestruck? I’m not referring to experiences like encountering Jesus, as the apos...