Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Seek Week: A Hunger for More!



A Hunger for More

I don’t know about you, but every time I read the book of Acts, I get this feeling that something is wrong.  Not with the first century church, but with the modern church.  There is a stark difference between the two.  One has power, and the other does not. 

The early church lived in a pagan society, much worse than the one that we are living in today, yet they were able to turn the world upside down. Why? They had received power.  The Holy Spirit was upon them. 

The difference between today’s church and the first century church is not only power but Holy Spirit Power.  The reason that the early church experienced such power is prayer.  The early church was dedicated to corporate prayer.  The result of their worship-based corporate prayer was Holy Spirit Power.  

I must admit that I am not content with business as usual.  I long and hunger to see life-changing revival in my life, my family, and my church.  The only way that this will happen is through prayer.   

The Lord has impressed upon me to set aside at least a week each year for First Southern to do nothing but seek the Lord through fasting and prayer.  This will take place at the beginning of every New Year.  

The verse that he has given Seek Week 2012 is Jeremiah 29:13, “You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.”  This verse is a wonderful promise to anyone who will seek the Lord. Therefore, we will seek the Lord through worship, prayer, and fasting.
 
Seek Week: What It’s All About
Several years ago, I had the opportunity to spend three weeks at a premiere preaching conference.  The three weeks were great, except I was separated from my new bride.  Needless to say, I was homesick; my hope was strengthened with the return home on the horizon.  

Seek Week is about our souls being homesick for God.  It is about a people who have tasted the goodness of the Lord, and want more.

We can’t be totally satisfied until the consummation of our salvation.  Until that happens, our souls should and must long for more of the fullness of God in our lives.
 
You will be challenged to pray and fast during this time.  For some, you are not sure about fasting.  Let me give you a couple of suggestions.  First, a fast can be from food, media, or activities.  The idea is that whatever you give up, you replace with prayer and worship.  For          example, let’s say I give up some of my television shows for the week (Thank the Lord for DVR). During that time, I will seek the Lord through worship and prayer.  

Second, realize the potential to change the course of history through prayer and fasting.  In the Old Testament we find Ezra leading the people of God to fast and pray for God’s protection, and the Lord heard their prayers (Ezra 8:21-31).  In the New Testament we find the early church fasting and praying.  The Lord used that time to send out Paul and Barnabas on a mission movement that changed the world (Acts 13:1-3).  Imagine the lives that can and will be changed during Seek Week 2012! 

Believe what God says! Seek Him with all your heart and you will find him.  I am excited to see what God will do in us, through us, and around us as a body of believers during and after Seek Week 2012! 

Expecting Revival,


Pastor Patrick 



No comments:

Divine Visitation

Have you ever experienced a divine visitation that left you awestruck? I’m not referring to experiences like encountering Jesus, as the apos...