Wednesday, April 14, 2010

On Your Backside?

I watched curiously the other day as a turtle struggled to turn itself right side up. At first, I assumed the turtle could never do it, but I was wrong. The turtle spastically flailed about its head, neck and legs until it was no longer upside down. And getting right side up is a matter of life and death for the turtle.

Life can often put us on our backside also. Therefore, the real challenge as believers is to find our way back to our feet. So, how do we get back on our feet when life knocks us down?

The ballast of worship:
The greatest thing we can do when life has us down is turn our eyes to Jesus. I’m reminded of Psalm 73 in which the author admitted to God that he struggled with life and stumbled on account of the wicked enjoying blessings. It wasn't until he went to worship that he was able put things into perspective. Notice what happened when he put his eyes back on the Lord, “Until I came into the sanctuary of God; then I perceived their end” (Psalm 73:17).

The ballast of community:
We need each other! Paul said it well, “Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ” (Galatians 6:2).

The ballast of hope:
When David struggled with being upside down in life, he preached to himself, “Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him for the help of His presence” (Psalm 42:5). Ralph Waldo Emerson said, “We judge of man's wisdom by his hope.”

If life has you on your backside at this time, I encourage you to choose worship, community, and hope. Get on your feet and declare like one anonymous pastor, “I am a disciple of Christ…I will not let up, look back or slow down. My face is set; my goal is sure, my way is rough, my companions few, my God is reliable; my mission is clear…I am a disciple of Christ, I must go until he comes.”

No comments:

Divine Visitation

Have you ever experienced a divine visitation that left you awestruck? I’m not referring to experiences like encountering Jesus, as the apos...